26 June 2010

A Royal Finale

My last day in Seoul was spent wandering the grounds of Changdeokgung and Gyeongbokgung, two palace complexes of the Joseon Dynasty. The structures within each compound were completed between 1395-1412, and although the majority of buildings were destroyed or damages during the Japanese occupation of Korea, Changdeokgung was used as a royal residence even until 1926. The details of these places were amazing!Gyeongbokgung is the bigger, main palace complex (with guards!):Then I left the palace district and walked through the city center to the markets. On the way I passed elaborate lanterns, fountains, and some funky urban art. I even saw a herd of cyclists assembling for a Critical Mass ride! Seoul is a very cool city, with lots happening above ground and below in the underground markets. Once I picked up a bundle of Korean nori (Korean seaweed is slightly thinner and saltier than Japanese seaweed) from an open-air market, I was set to return to Japan, for a direct-comparison taste test, and to live it up for the few weeks I had left before moving home to the States!

No comments:

Post a Comment