09 April 2010

One more thing...

...before I begin weeding through the thousand (yes, thousand) photos from my two weeks in Cambodia and Vietnam: School's out. The last week included a chorus concert (I took some video that I'll refrain from posting here because it was my first time using the camera's video function and of course I really should have tried it out beforehand as the video is more than a bit pixelated and crackly-sounding, which along with my motion-sickness-inducing camerawork makes for a real treat), as well as lots of rehearsal for the ninth-grade graduation ceremony...when to bow, which direction to bow, how long to bow, etc. The last day of school there was an assembly to give out awards for honor students, and there I had to get up on stage and give my final formal farewell to the students and teachers. When the head English teacher first told me I needed to give a speech, she asked if I could use about ten minutes. I couldn't tell if she was joking. "How about five minutes?" I asked. I alternated between English and Japanese, with a couple minutes dedicated to addressing each grade separately. I didn't cry. And an eighth-grade girl presented me with a pink bouquet when I finished.

Back in the staff room, I was given a bag of homemade strawberry caramels, a container of homemade pickles, and the World's Largest Cabbage. Seriously, it was bigger than my head. I went to dinner with one of the English teachers and her family, then I rode the train home with my huge bag of school supplies, my bouquet in one hand, and my giant cabbage in the other. I was sad to think I may never see any of these people again. But I also couldn't stop giggling at my huge. freaking. cabbage.

Then I got to the Shizuoka-Mt. Fuji Airport on Sunday, to fly off on vacation, and was greeted in disbelief by a whole herd of Okabe teachers. They were on the same flight, headed to Seoul for a long weekend. Too funny.

I'm off to the Kyoto area to substitute teach for a couple weeks. Fingers crossed that there's internet at my hotel and I can get a round of Cambodia photos posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment