05 March 2010

Fantastic 三年生 Farewells

After 15 months in Japan, it’s official: I’ve become a manga character.I’ve already finished teaching at Osu and Okabe, and here at Aojima, the school year comes to a close with graduation on March 19. Since the 9th graders are taking their final high school entrance exams and rehearsing frantically for the year-end chorus concert, as well as fitting in a class trip to Tokyo Disneyland, I am teaching only 7th and 8th graders from here on out. Much to my delight, after my final classes with the 9th graders, I was showered with many amazing/hilarious/cryptic farewell messages. Basically, I plan to keep these forever and pull them out anytime I need a self-esteem boost.

Here are some of the best—it was difficult making cuts. And please don’t get the wrong impression from these samples: there were many flawlessly written messages. I really have helped these kids with their English, a little! It’s just that the messed-up messages are far more entertaining and endearing, of course. (You can click on some of the images for a larger version.)
How will I ever find another job that compares to this one?!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for about a year.


    OMG!!!


    You will find though, that this WILL happen more than just once. Students are awesome. Really.

    P.S. I couldn't click on the pictures to make them bigger. BLARGH!!

    THANK YOU FOR POSTING THESE!! You made my morning awesome!!!

    THANK YOU FOR BEING YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I love letters from students. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES, EXACTLY. self-esteem boost for the win! aren't these kids the dearest kids ever?

    <3 (^-^)

    ReplyDelete