23 January 2010

Califotos I

My original thought was to take an extended layover in San Francisco, either arriving from or returning to Japan, but the timing looked less than ideal to me as well as the people potentially putting me up. When I have a destination in my head, though…January 1-5, in the middle of my trip to the U.S., I got to explore San Fran, stay with a great old pal and his two fine housemates, and enjoy a few springlike days outside snowy ‘sconsin.

Friday night: three boys and a dog picked me up from the airport, in a Zipcar!

Saturday: Walking, walking, quick train ride, walking, walking. Alamo Square Park to Buena Vista Park...
Through the Castro and down Clarion Alley...Into the Mission (with a notable stop at the pirate supply store), then on to City Hall... Through Japantown (of course there would be middle school girls dancing to anime songs in the main square)...Past the Fillmore, and back to Baker Street for Little Star Pizza, rivaling even Uno’s Pizzeria of Platteville. And there may or may not have been a visit to a tiki bar later this evening…

Sunday: Brett and I acquaint ourselves with Golden Gate Park. An arboretum, golf course, disc golf course, rent-a-bikes, rent-a-boats (although Japan wins hands-down on the cute, natch) model yachts, a bison paddock, a Dutch windmill, and the giant cheese grater that is the deYoung Museum. The finale, the stretch of beautiful beach where I would have flown a kite, were kite frame dowels allowed in carry-on luggage.Thanks for letting me stay! Part 2 post tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment